The programme deals with the manipulation of energy through useful mechanical devices and the application of thermodynamics and heat transfer systems. The programme prepares students for positions as engineers with the knowledge, problem solving ability, and managerial skills to enter careers in the design, installation, manufacturing, testing and maintenance of mechanical systems. Students will gain expertise in mechanical design, turbomachinery and process control. Graduates will typically have strengths in the analysis, applied design, development and implementation of mechanical systems and processes.
Programme Educational Objectives
- Be effective in the design and implementation of advanced mechanical engineering technology systems and processes.
- Effectively lead, work and communicate in a team.
- Utilise the ASME or related standards of ethics.
- Be successfully employed in an engineering technology or related field, or accepted into a graduate programme.
- Expand knowledge and capabilities through continuing education or other lifelong learning experiences.
- Serve the community, whether locally, nationally, or globally.
- An ability to select and apply the knowledge, techniques, skills, and modern tools of the discipline to broadly-defined engineering technology activities;
- An ability to select and apply a knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering, and technology to engineering technology problems that require the application of principles and applied procedures or methodologies;
- An ability to conduct standard tests and measurements; to conduct, analyse, and interpret experiments; and to apply experimental results to improve processes;
- An ability to design systems, components, or processes for broadly-defined engineering technology problems appropriate to programme educational objectives;
- An ability to function effectively as a member or leader on a technical team;
- An ability to identify, analyse, and solve broadly-defined engineering technology problems;
- An ability to apply written, oral, and graphical communication in both technical and nontechnical environments; and an ability to identify and use appropriate technical literature;
- An understanding of the need for and an ability to engage in self-directed continuing professional development;
- An understanding of and a commitment to address professional and ethical responsibilities including a respect for diversity;
- A knowledge of the impact of engineering technology solutions in a societal and global context;
- A commitment to quality, timeliness, and continuous improvement;
- The design, installation, manufacturing, testing, evaluation, technical sales, or maintenance of mechanical systems;
- The analysis, applied design, development, implementation, or oversight of advanced mechanical systems and processes;
- The ability to apply specific programme principles to the analysis, design, development implementation of advance mechanical systems or processes;
- The ability to apply project management techniques to analyse, design and implement advance mechanical systems;
- The ability to utilise statistics/probability and applied differential equations in support of mechanical systems and processes.